Tracy Owens (MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN) is a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD). Tracy is the sports dietitian for the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and various youth sports teams. She has worked in private practice, providing clinical and sports nutrition for over 20 years.
Tracy carefully scrutinizes all educational information and products provided by NextGear Nutrition and provides new content based on the latest findings in sports nutrition.
Tracy grew up in a sports-minded family and as the mother of four active children, sports have been an integral part of her household. She has four grown children, ages 28-20. Her two sons and two daughters have played a variety of sports. Collectively they have played AAU baseball, USSSA baseball, Legion baseball, Challenge, United, Premier, Elite and ECNL soccer at Capital Area Soccer League (CASL), USTA tennis, summer swim teams, and high school football, swimming, baseball and soccer, and college soccer. Additionally two of her children played Division 1 soccer in college.
At home and beyond, Tracy has years of experience providing solid sports nutrition advice to all types of athletes. She has worked with young children, high school, collegiate, Olympic hopefuls, and professional athletes, as well as everyday athletes who want to optimize sports performance.
- Undergraduate degree in Nutrition from East Carolina University
- Masters of Public Health in Nutrition (MPH) from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Registered Dietitian (RD) through the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist (LDN) in North Carolina
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD), one of only 700 in the U.S.
- CPR and First Aid Instructor with the American Heart Association for 25 years
- 25+ years of experience with group presentations and in individual counseling
- Sports Dietitian at University of North Carolina at Greensboro, working as a staff member in Sports Medicine with all athletes
- 9 years with Rex HealthCare as a clinical dietitian in the Wellness Center
- Implemented and developed Rex HealthCare programs including a comprehensive weight loss program called Rex Weigh. Developed cancer nutrition counseling materials and courses and developed and delivered sports nutrition, and heart health lecture series.
- Worked in private practice at a substance abuse hospital, as a home health nutritionist, and partnered with local athletic clubs.
- Provided prenatal nutrition counseling on site at Drs. Kamm McKenzie OB GYN office for 3 years. Dr. Kamm McKenzie’s patients are now referred to her office for prenatal counseling, gestational diabetes, and health and wellness.