With so many choices, how will you stock your energy bag for optimal energy and recovery?
Using our Foods to Include as a guide, here are some food combinations packed with nutrient-dense carbs for energy and ample protein to help curb your appetite. Create your own high-energy combinations that will give you the competitive edge!
Sample Energy Bag Contents
- Yogurt (plain, add fruit and nuts or handful of cereal or granola, Greek has more protein)
- Almonds/mixed nuts with an apple
- String cheese and grapes
- Pita bread and hummus
- Raw veggies
- Noodles with vegetable sauce and Parmesan cheese
- Banana and peanut butter
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread with a piece of fruit
- Peanut butter and celery with raisins
- Energy bar and string cheese
- Whole grain cereal and low-fat milk
- Apple with almonds
- Turkey (deli sliced) sandwich
- Smoothie – see recipes here >>
- Chicken and rice
- Low-fat cheese and whole grain crackers
- Hardboiled egg and an apple
- 1 package oatmeal cooked with milk and English muffin
When stocking your energy bag:
- Select foods that encourage snacking and not overeating.
- For pre-activity, about 3/4 of your food should come from nutrient-rich carbohydrates and about 1/4 from protein.
- Keep a few items handy to quickly start the recovery process after activity. (See Fueling for Optimal Recovery and Got Chocolate Milk?)
- Mix and match. Your body better utilizes nutrients from a variety of foods that are eaten throughout the day.
- Eat according to approximately how much time you have before activity (See Fueling Before Activity).
- For additional ways to fuel your body for peak performance, check out sports nutrition 101. Like to cook? Our performance kitchen has some great options for healthy meals and for stocking your energy bag!
- How to Build Lean Muscle for Increased Strength and Speed - April 30, 2017
- Muscle Cramps: Theories, Remedies, Decreasing Your Risk - July 25, 2016
- Got Chocolate Milk? - February 2, 2016